Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gabrielle Union On Rihanna's 'Man Down' Video: "I Tried To Shoot My Rapist But Missed"


In light of all the flack Rihanna is receiving for her video for her song "Man Down" (rihanna is raped in the video and then shoots her rapist in the head on a crowded street), Actress Gabrielle Union decided to speak out about the video and talk about her own experience with rape. Gabrielle was raped in 1992 when she was 19 years old when the shoe store she worked at was robbed. She says her attacker put the gun down while raping her then asked her to hand it to him. That's when she took the opportunity to shoot him but missed.

Gabrielle tweeted:
Saw "Man Down" by . Every victim/survivor of rape is unique, including how they THINK they'd like justice 2 be handed out.

Durin my rape I tried 2 shoot my rapist, bt I missed. Over the yrs I realized tht killin my rapist wouldve added insult 2 injury.

The DESIRE 2 kill someone whose abused/raped u is understandable, bt unless its self defense n the moment 2 save ur life, just ADDS 2 ur troubles #mandown.

I repeat SELF DEFENSE 2 save urself/protect urself, I'm ALL 4. Otherwise victim/survivor takin justice N2 ur own hands w/ violence=MO trouble 4 U!!

video did a GREAT job of getting the ENTIRE world TALKING abt RAPE. I hope tht it leads 2 HEALING & PREVENTS RAPE

Gabrielle also talked about her assault on Oprah's radio show two years ago. You can listen to it here.
Watch Rihanna's "Man Down" video here.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...